Thursday, April 7, 2016
A COOLING DESSERT ON THE EVE OF UGADI
It is once again cooking time with my grand daughter D2. Since Ugadi coincides with her summer holidays we are having a great time experimenting with new dishes and D2 is happily clicking pictures of the end product. We decided to prepare an easy to make dessert for the Ugadi eve using Sago, Mango and Coconut milk. It turned out to be a flavoursome, pleasant looking luscious delight!
Sago - 1 cup
Mango pulp - 1 cup
Chopped mango pieces - 1 cup
Rich and creamy Coconut milk - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Cashew nuts - 2 tbsps
Raisins - 2 tbsps
Powdered cardamom - 1 pinch
1. Dry roast the sago pearls till they pop in a heavy bottomed pan on low flame.
2. Wash the roasted sago two or three times.
3. Drain well, cover with a lid and allow it to soften for an hour.
4. Add 4 cups of water to the drained sago and cook till each pearl becomes transparent.
5. Add sugar and cook till the sugar dissolves and blends with the sago.
6. Switch off flame and allow the sago and sugar mixture to cool down.
7. Add the mango pulp followed by the coconut milk to the cooled mixture and mix till they blend well.
8. Mix in the cardamom powder, raisins and cashew nuts.
9. Finally add the chopped mango pieces and gently mix with the pudding.
Enjoy the cool Sago and Mango Delight to your heart's content!