Saturday, July 16, 2016
WHOLE CAULIFLOWER MASALA
It is my habit to get the clicks of all the dishes I cook. When I was casually browsing through my album the pictures of Whole Cauliflower Masala caught my eye. This was prepared for my dear grand daughter long time ago. I immediately posted the picture with a 'Can you guess the dish' caption in my Facebook page and I was amused by the diverse guesses that poured in. Here comes the recipe of WHOLE CAULIFLOWER MASALA!
Cauliflower - 1 (Medium size)
Onion - 2 big
Tomatoes - 4 or more if they are small
Ginger - 1''piece
Garlic - 2 cloves
Cashew nuts - 10
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Sesame oil - 3 tbsps
Sambar powder - 2 tsps
( I like to use my Sambar powder instead of Chilly powder, Dania powder, Cumin powder and turmeric powder separately.)
Powdered cinnamon,cardamom and cloves - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 2 tsps
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Chopped coriander leaves to garnish
TO PREPARE THE CAULIFLOWER
1. Remove the leaves and the thick stem of Cauliflower taking care to keep the head intact.
2. Soak Cauliflower in warm water and salt for at least fifteen minutes.
3. Drain and wash thoroughly.
4. Steam the Cauliflower in a pressure cooker for about ten to fifteen minutes till it is just done.
TO PREPARE THE MASALA
5. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a kadai and add the chopped ginger and garlic followed by chopped onion.
6. When the onion becomes transparent add chopped tomatoes and cashew nuts.
7. Cover and cook stirring now and then till the tomatoes are soft.
8. Allow the sauteed ingredients to cool and then grind them into a fine paste.
9. Heat the rest of the oil in the same kadai and add the cumin seeds.
10. Pour the ground masala into the kadai and add salt, sambar powder, sugar and the spice powder.
11. Cook till it emanates a very pleasant aroma.
12. Place the steamed Cauliflower with its head side immersed in the gravy.
13. Simmer for 2 minutes and flip it gently and allow to simmer for another minute before switching off flame.
14. Gently remove the Cauliflower into a serving dish.
15. Pour the remaining masala gravy over the Cauliflower.
16. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Cut the Whole Cauliflower Masala as you would cut a cake using a sharp knife and enjoy it with plain rice, Jeera rice or rotis.