Among the various kinds of variety rice preparations(Chitraanna), Tomato Rice is the easiest to make. It is often served in South Indian Thali Meals along with numerous other dishes.Tomato Ogare is a variation where tomato gojju is cooked with a flavoursome blend of spices and mixed with rice making it more spicy, flavoursome and festive.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SPICE POWDER
Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
Bengal gram dal - 1 tbsp
Black gram dal - 1 tsp
Red chillies (broken) - 6 to 8
Pepper - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
White sesame seeds - 2 tbsp
Grated dry coconut ( copra) - 2 tbsps
Sesame oil - 1/4 tsp
TO MAKE THE SPICE POWDER
1. Dry roast sesame seeds till they splutter.
2. Dry roast fenugreek seeds till they turn dark brown in colour.
3. Dry roast pepper and cumin seeds till you get a pleasant aroma.
Powder all the dry roasted ingredients together and keep aside.
4. Heat 1/4 tsp of sesame oil in a pan and roast coriander seeds, Bengal gram dal, Black gram dal and broken red chillies together till they turn golden brown in colour emanating a very pleasant aroma.
5. Allow to cool and then grind the roasted ingredients into a slightly coarse powder.
6. Add the grated copra and give it a final blend.
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING TOMATO GOJJU
Ripe and red tomatoes ( finely chopped) - 4 cups
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 2 tsps
Powdered jaggery - 1 tsp
Sesame oil - 4tbsps
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Ground nuts - 1/4 cup
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Curry leaves - a few
TO MAKE THE TOMATO GOJJU FOR THE OGARE
1. Heat oil in a kadai and add the mustard seeds.
3. When the mustard splutters add the ground nuts and fry till they crack.
4. Add curry leaves and asafoetida followed by the finely chopped tomatoes.
5. Stir in turmeric powder, salt and jaggery powder.
6. Cover and cook on low flame, stirring now and then till the tomato becomes mushy and the oil separates.
7. Mix in the prepared spice powders and switch off flame.
Now the Tomato Gojju is ready to use.
TO MAKE TOMATO OGARE
1. Take one cup of cooked rice in a wide bowl and break up the lumps if any.
2. Add one spoon of sesame oil to the rice and mix well so that each grain is coated with oil. This step prevents the rice from clumping.
3. Add 3 or 4 table spoons ( or as per taste) of the prepared Tomato Gojju and mix evenly with the rice using a spatula.
Enjoy the flavoursome Tomato Ogare with cucumber raita and papad.