Sunday, January 1, 2017
ALMOND AND RED CARROT BURFI
Amidst a hectic New Year's Eve schedule I wanted a homemade sweet for my family on the onset of the New Year. Almond and Red carrot burfi was easy to make and it also turned out quite well. Posting this recipe with good wishes for a happy, healthy, prosperous and peaceful New Year!
Almonds - 4 cups
Red carrots ( also known as Delhi gajar) - 2
Sugar - 8 cups
Saffron strands - a few
Ghee ( or olive oil if you are Vegan) - to grease the plate
1. Blanch almonds and peel off the skin.
2. Peel and grate the red carrots.
3. Grind the almonds and carrot gratings into a thick and coarse paste without adding water.
4. Add 3 cups of water to the sugar in a heavy bottomed pan and boil it till it reaches one thread consistency.
5. Add the ground almond carrot mixture and keep stirring.
6. Cook till the bubbles start settling down and then add the saffron strands.
8. The sugar will start to crystallize on the sides of the pan and you will see the bubbles turning into pits.
Cut into squares using a sharp knife after it sets and enjoy the coloureful and flavoursome Almond and Red Carrot Burfi with family and friends.