Announcing the 'Kitchen Treasure Hunt' Event!

This event is now closed. The round-up has been posted in two parts.
Part 1 - entries from non-bloggers.
Part 2 - entries from bloggers.

**************************************************************

We invite you to participate in the Kitchen Treasure Hunt!


Isn't it but natural that all of us, who love cooking, also have an interest in cookware, kitchen accessories and gadgets? While shopping, we can't resist browsing the kitchen appliances section, or taking a quick look the crockery & cutlery shops. At fairs, and local farmer markets, crowds quickly gather around cooking gadget stalls to see how quickly onions, carrots and other vegetables get sliced, chopped, diced, and shred in a jiffy! At museums we seem drawn to the ancient urns, nut crackers and other early kitchen implements!

Today there are no limits to the evolution of kitchen gadgets and aids, from electric cookers, non-stick pans and even 'Ragi Mudde making’ machines'!!

While these innovations are exciting, it is always really interesting to look at some traditional cookware as well. If you've been reading our blog, many posts show some of the traditional vessels and equipment that were (and are) being used.

Recently we came across some very unusual uses of equipment as well. Did you know that your dishwasher can be used to cook?!!!! Take a look at this!!

Chitra Amma and I were chatting, and our curiosity and interest in looking at old and new cookware, and other kitchen treasures around the world led us to announce this KITCHEN TREASURE HUNT event!



What can be submitted?
We invite you to send us entries on any cooking / dining/ food storage utensils, kitchen implements, gadgets, and so on. They can be items you possess, or maybe you’ve seen it at your grandmother’s place, or perhaps during any of your travels. It can be from ANY COUNTRY OF ORIGIN.

- They can be traditional, or ethnic vessels.

- They can be new, but perhaps some uncommon innovations. What is common in one part of the globe, is not common another।- so feel free to send in your posts anyway! For example a lotta and dabara is so common in South India for drinking coffee & tea, its not so anywhere else! We did a browse for Japanese teacups, to cite as an example here, and were overwhelmed to find more varieties than we could imagine !!!

- They can be unusual use of equipment in cooking, like the diswasher salmon example above!

It is okay to send in posts on electrical appliances; however the idea is not to just land up with a collection of the latest toasters, refrigerators and ovens! If you think it is interesting for the world to know about, then do send it in!

At minimum your posts should include details about:
- Name of utensil/ appliance / gadget
- Country / Place of origin or where you got from!
- Photo/s or illustration.
- A Description of what it is used for.
Of course, you can make the post verrrrrrrrrry interesting by showing photos or even video of the gadgets in action if possible. Include any information you want to share about it – what is it made of? Any special maintenance required? How useful is it? What’s good? What’s not? What make it unusual? Any associated anecdotes, memories or incidents that you want to share are most welcome.

What do you need to do?
- Make a fresh and independent post on your blog. Please link back to this event in Chitra Amma's Kitchen. We’d happy if you used the logo, but its optional! We’ve provided three different colour schemes for you to choose from.

- Ensure that your entries and photographs are original, and do not violate any copyrights.

- Drop us a mail with a link to your post at chitra.ammas.kitchen@gmail.com or chitra(dot)ammas(dot)kitchen(dot)com, with the following details.
Your Name:
Name of your post:
URL / Link:
You need not send any details or photos, as we will directly pick it up from your post.

- You may send as many entries as you wish.
- In case you do not have a blog, you are still welcome to participate. You can simply send your entries to our e-mail address at chitra-ammas-kitchen@gmail.com or chitra(dash)ammas(dash)kitchen(dot)com.

- This event is open till 7th December '08, midnight, Sydney, Australia Time (so those in West actually get almost a day in addition). We will post a round up of all the entries within a few days after 7th December
- Feel free to contact us via mail or in the comments section with your questions if any.

So get started on the treasure hunt and take a fresh look at your favourite pots and pans, tongs, grinders, slicers, pasta makers, spoons, and chopsticks, coffee filters, bakeware! We are excited and eagerly look forward to your posts!

Comments

Lakshmi said…
waah! This is going to be an exciting event..really nice.
jayasree said…
Lovely event. I am sure the roundup will introduce us to both traditional and new gadgets which I have not come across. Thanks for hosting the event.
Shall surely try to come up with some thing nice.
Finla said…
Wonderful a no cooking event. I am in for it and now just have to look in my kitchen. Can we do in one post few gadgets
Dibs said…
Thanks lakshmi, Jayasree.


Happy Cook - Thanks. Sure please go ahead and share many items in one post!
Jayashree said…
What a lovely event idea. My grandma has lots of old appliances which we don't use any more. Let me see if I can get my mother to take a few pics and send them across.
Braeg Heneffe said…
When is the Kitchen Treasue Hunt?
Anonymous said…
This is an interesting event.. ! Will surely participate..
Sunshinemom said…
This is interesting! Let me hunt my kitchen for some relics!
sra said…
I'm wondering if anything I have will fit the bill. Nice idea.
Priya Suresh said…
Thats cool...very interesting..will go for search in my kitchen, hope will find out something..
Cham said…
Very cool ur gadget event, I will try to chip in with something perhaps special !
Uma said…
Interesting event. Let me see what I have in my kitchen!
anudivya said…
Awesome event! I am gonna look forward to the round up for sure.

Cooking salmon in dishwasher! That might be taking it a little too far, he he he.
Whatever happened to water conservation!
Dibs said…
Jayashree - Wow! Will look forward to seeing your entries.

Braeg - the event has begun, and ends on Dec 7th. Make a blog post on your entry and mail me a link. We will be posting a summary (round up) of the entries with links by Dec 2nd week.

Pallavi, Sunshinemom - Thanks! Will look forward to your posts.

Sra, Priya - If nothing fits the bill, feel free to look beyond your own home, in the true spiri of a treasure hunt :-)) It would be interesting to see items from other countries and places! I moved to Sydney recently and have nothing much at home, but I am planning to visit the Sushi Joint in a nearby mall, and talk with the chefs !!

Cham - Will look forward to your entry!

Uma - Sure, will look forward to your post. Fee free to explore beyond as well!

Divya - I know, I stumbled upon that, and it was soooo YUCK. But it seems very popular here!!!! Anything to get just the right effect, I suppose!
Dibs said…
Jayashree - Wow! Will look forward to seeing your entries.

Braeg - the event has begun, and ends on Dec 7th. Make a blog post on your entry and mail me a link. We will be posting a summary (round up) of the entries with links by Dec 2nd week.

Pallavi, Sunshinemom - Thanks! Will look forward to your posts.

Sra, Priya - If nothing fits the bill, feel free to look beyond your own home, in the true spiri of a treasure hunt :-)) It would be interesting to see items from other countries and places! I moved to Sydney recently and have nothing much at home, but I am planning to visit the Sushi Joint in a nearby mall, and talk with the chefs !!

Cham - Will look forward to your entry!

Uma - Sure, will look forward to your post. Fee free to explore beyond as well!

Divya - I know, I stumbled upon that, and it was soooo YUCK. But it seems very popular here!!!! Anything to get just the right effect, I suppose!
Mansi said…
Thanks for inviting me Dibs! this sounds unique, and I'll be happy to join in. I think I have something to share:)
btw, I'm hosting the vegetarian thanksgiving recipe event, and would love if you could participate to!:)
Usha said…
Sounds like a wonderful event, will try and participate, am sure the roundup is going to have some really unique gadgets :-)
Dibs said…
Mansi - sure. will make me read up a bit on thanks giving too :-)

Usha - thanks. look forward to your entry.
My first time here, and this is a really nice event. I'll see what I can come up with.
SMN said…
tahts very creative and fun too :)
Unknown said…
Lovely event! let me see if i can come up with something!

u have a nice bog here...thanks for introducing me to urs! good luck
Great idea!!
I'll have to see what I can dig up :)
Thanks for visiting my blog and your nice comment!
Have a beautiful day
Purnima said…
Wonderful Event, glad u brain stormed upon it..wd surely try and participate! The round up, am sure, wd b a guideline of kitchen tools/crocery seen but uses unknown category...eventually helping us to buy if it suits our needs! :D Thanks again Dibs!
Cham said…
I sent my entry :)
Sanghi said…
Hey.. this is very interesting and a great idea to bring the traditional things remember. Will try to post.
http://cooking-up-a-storm-zaayeka.blogspot.com/2008/12/ode-to-my-paint-brushes-easel-and.html

this is my entry Dibs...new here :)
Ivy said…
Great idea. I am sending you a few items from Cyprus and Greece.
Anonymous said…
hi,
u have a wonderful blog ,have sent my entry hope i can make it :)
Unknown said…
Good one..luv it..Have just sent u my entry...
Hi,
I'm having some problems with Gmail (temporary, I hope) and couldn't send you the mail with details of my post for the event.
Since I didn't want to miss the deadline, I'm leaving the link to my "Treasure Hunt" post here. Its http://mydiversekitchen.blogspot.com/2008/12/treasured-cookware-from-my-kitchen.html
I will send you the mail with details as soon as I can. Sorry. And thanks.
Shaheen said…
This sounds so much fun! But I'm a bit late. Hopefully I catch up during the next round up!
Sanghi said…
I'm very eager to see the round up.
enjoy blogging!
Rumela said…
We invite you to participate in the Kitchen Treasure Hunt! Isn’t it but natural that all of us, who love cooking, also have an interest in cookware, kitchen accessories and gadgets? thank you for shearing your post.
Hi Author
I follow your blog for a long time and must tell you that your posts always prove to be of a high value and quality for readers. Keep it up.
Ramiz Raza said…
I was reading your article and wondered if you had considered creating an ebook on this subject. Your writing would sell it fast. You have a lot of writing talent.
AILEEN