SAKKAT SIPPE CHUTNEY OR
DOUBLE DELIGHT CHUTNEY OR ORANGE PEEL CHUTNEY
After relishing dozens and dozens of Kamala oranges till the very end of the season , we have already started yearning for the next season to begin ! First and foremost the juicy fruits ( also known as Loose Jackets and Mandarin Oranges ) taste nectarine and are very addictive. Secondly the loose peels taste heavenly when used in the preparation of a spicy gojju or chutney. Hence the name 'Double Delight'! When D2 tasted the Orange peel chutney she animatedly exclaimed "Sakkat Sippe Chutney!"
Orange Peels chopped - 2 cups
Red chillies - 2
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Powdered jaggery - 1/4 tsp
Tamarind - 1 small marble size ball
Oil - 2 tbsps
Mustard seeds - 1 pinch
( Please do not use asafoetida by force of habit ! This will subdue the intrinsic flavour of the Orange peel. The peel by itself enhances good digestion. By the way you can also use the dried and powdered Orange peel in your face mask. Triple delight indeed! )
1. Peel and relish the Kamala first.
2. Collect the fresh peels, wash thoroughly and chop them into small pieces.
3. Heat 1 tsp of oil and add the red chillies.
4. When the chillies turn crisp add the chopped orange peels and saute till they are lightly cooked.
5. Grind the sauteed peels with salt, tamarind and jaggery into a slightly coarse paste.
6. Heat the remaining oil and add the mustard seeds.
7. When the mustard seeds crackle add the ground chutney and stir well.
8. Cook on low flame till oil separates.
Enjoy the 'orangy', 'tangy', Sakkat ( Super ) Sippe ( Peel ) Chutney with dosas , chapaties or with steaming hot rice, of course topped with fresh ghee ! You can also use it as a bread spread.